Friday, November 13, 2015

Been A Long Time

Well, I never closed this blog and I'm glad I didn't. I never gave up over all of these years despite many trials and tribulations.

If you scroll through old posts, you will notice some photos are missing. It has to do with when I tried to delete my Google+ account. I wiped out most of my blog pics. :-( Boo.

Anyway, I am back!!! 

What have I been up to? Lots of walking, lots of running and now Crossfit Bootcamp. That's why I'm back here.

I have to write why I'm in bootcamp.

My entire life I felt I was overweight. I won't go into that story here, but when I look back on my high school pictures, I clearly was fine. However, during college I put on the Freshman 15 and then some and came out of college sixty pounds heavier. I used a commercial weight loss program where you go weigh in, buy their special foods and increase your activity until you reach your goal at which time you go on a year long maintenance program. I lost all sixty pounds on that program and kept it off until I had my thyroid irradiated almost twenty years ago. From that point on, it was an endless battle ending with me being almost 240 pounds (109 kg).

I couldn't afford to go back to the first program so I joined an online weight loss program where you count points to determine how much you should eat. That along with run/walking worked - losing about 30 pounds. I switched to Advocare and be came a distributor where I lost another ten pounds, but I still didn't feel fit (to no fault of Advocare). And I also had no sense of accountability. My running group of two years basically disbanded, my other half passed away, and I really felt I was spinning my wheels.

In October, my friend sent me an ad about a free introduction to a bootcamp at Crossfit Beyond Limits. I went not knowing what to expect and they kicked my booty. I couldn't walk for a week, but I went back the next week. Once again I felt crippled. Now they ask me why I come. What do I hope to accomplish?

1: I want to lose weight. Yes, it is about the numbers. But is also about being able to look cute in clothes off the rack without shopping in the plus size stores.

2: I want to feel better. I have never been able to squat next to my students. I could never really ever squat as a teen/young adult either even when I was thin. In 2010, I climbed most of a very big mountain in Norway but had to stop because the pain in my knee was excruciating. When I sit on the floor with my students it's quite a sight getting up off the floor.
Preikestolen - Before the Climb
3: I want to feel happy. You may or may not know that I lost the love of my life last year. He was my fitness partner. We planned our meals together. We encouraged each other in our fitness goals. My friends tried to step in but as often occurs, life happens and we all get busy and pretty soon, we are too busy because of work, family, and so on. Soon I found myself eating whatever I wanted, only walk/running on Saturdays, not gaining weight, but not losing either. I needed a change of pace.

4: I am a social person. I am at my best when I have people to workout with. Gym memberships are boring. I have no one to push me past my current abilities. I find a comfortable place and stay there. If it gets uncomfortable, I stop. Lungs hurt? Stop running. Arms hurt? Stop pushing.

Bootcamp is providing me with the change I need to keep moving forward.

Let's see if I take two years to come back and share my progress.

1 comment:

  1. You will always be an inspiration to me Annemarie. You have endured so much and ALWAYS come out on top.
    I am so proud of you my friend especially when walking beside you while climbing Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock) in Norway.
    Namaste
    Peggy xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete